Kihei, Hawaii Whitefish, Montana Bloomington, Minnesota Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria UTC/GMT Iraq Afghanistan Republic of Korea Ocean Grove, Victoria
Optimized for 1280x1024 resolution

Sunday, March 05, 2006

"PURR-FECT"


From Art Bell's webcam at coasttocoastam.com

============================================

It was one of those nights when I could do no wrong. All the travails of the shift just slid off.

Started at 6:00pm and picked up the phone and reservations from another driver who was covering until my arrival. First reservation was at 7:00pm and there were 6 cabs queued up before me.

The calls came sparingly and then it was 6:45pm and I was first up. For "time calls", we dispatch a cab to the pickup location 15 minutes in advance. At 7:00pm I made my pickup from The Grand to the airport (OGG).

The round trip usually takes about 1 hour.

Queued up again at 8:00pm. The next time call was 9:00pm and at 8:45pm I was again first in line. So off to the Four Seasons and another run to the airport.

As I was entering Kihei, on the return, I received a call from Speedie-Shuttle requesting that we cover a pickup of two pilots at the Mau'i Coast Hotel in Kihei at 10:10pm and take them to the airport. All the rest of the cabs were in Wailea and I was the only "outside" (not in Wailea) cab. So another trip to the airport!!!

I cleared at the airport around 10:45pm and had just passed the car rental agencies when I received a call from a former driver, who now works as a rental agent at Hertz rent-a-car, wondering if I had any cabs in the airport area. He had some guests needing a ride into Kihei. So, 5 minutes later, I have a paid ride back to town.

Not bad.

At the end of the run the meter read $37.10 and, as he handed me a $100 bill, my fare said, "The smallest I have is this. I know you can't break it, so keep the change." My hand snatched that bill out of his hand like a raptor, as I thanked him and "beat feet" out of there before he changed his mind.

A $62.90 TIP!!!!

Did bar runs til 2:00am.

At 2:45am I took a gentleman across the island to see his lady friend, thus having my fifth long run of the night.

A couple of more "pu-pu runs" and then I was at The Grand, compiling the reservations for Sunday. One of their guests walked out at 4:30am wanting a taxi to the airport. So away we went on my sixth long run.

When I got back to the garage, my relief driver, Brian, asked if I had lost a roll of nickles the night before. I told him about the guy who had paid me in rolled nickles (see previous post). Brian opened the glove box and handed me a roll that he had found on the rear floor. Thus I had only lost $1 on that prior run

The perfect ending to a "purr-fect" day.

==============================================



This morning's sunrise over Mt. Haleakala, our dormant volcano.
==============================================



The departure terminal at OGG. I've mentioned before how small our international airport is.
==============================================



Today's gas prices.
==============================================



The fountain at the entrance to the Four Seasons.
==============================================



Brian
==============================================



Anna-Lisa, one of the "Triangles" many patrons
==============================================

Another Sunday morning and the end of another week for me.
==============================================

Later.....

Wil
=8^))
"Let's all be careful out there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love Hearing Your "Talk Story".

Bored? Wanna watch a movie? Then check out my other blog, HOME THEATER CENTER