There are 82 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
- On Oct. 10, 1845, the U.S. Naval Academy was established in Annapolis, Md.
On this date:
- In 1758, French fur trader, early St. Louis settler and "father of Oklahoma" Jean Pierre Chouteau was born in New Orleans.
- In 1813, composer Giuseppe Verdi was born in Le Roncole, Italy.
- In 1908, the Chicago Cubs won Game 1 of the World Series with a 10-6 victory over the Detroit Tigers at Bennett Park.
- In 1911, revolutionaries under Sun Yat-sen launched their overthrow of China's Manchu dynasty.
- In 1935, George Gershwin's opera "Porgy and Bess" opened on Broadway.
- In 1938, Germany completed its annexation of Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland.
- In 1958, the private-eye series "77 Sunset Strip" premiered on ABC-TV.
- In 1967, the Outer Space Treaty, which prohibits the placing of weapons of mass destruction on the moon or elsewhere in space, entered into force.
- In 1973, Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, accused of accepting bribes, pleaded no contest to one count of federal income tax evasion and resigned from office.
- In 1978, President Carter signed a bill authorizing the Susan B. Anthony dollar.
Ten years ago:
- Former Defense Secretary and presidential adviser Clark M. Clifford died at age 91.
Five years ago:
- Iranian writer and activist Shirin Ebadi won the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh announced during his syndicated radio show that he was addicted to painkillers and was checking into a rehab center.
One year ago:
- A 14-year-old suspended student opened fire in a Cleveland high school, wounding two teachers and two classmates before killing himself.
- The United Auto Workers tentatively agreed on a contract with Chrysler. (UAW members ratified the accord but with significant dissent in the ranks.)
- A Russian spacecraft blasted off for the international space station, carrying Malaysia's first astronaut (Sheikh Muszaphar) and Peggy Whitson, an American who became the first woman to command the orbital outpost.
- German Gerhard Ertl won the 2007 Nobel Prize in chemistry.
- Playwright Harold Pinter is 78.
- Former Illinois Sen. Adlai Stevenson III is 78.
- Actor Peter Coyote is 67.
- Entertainer Ben Vereen is 62.
- Singer John Prine is 62.
- Actor Charles Dance is 62.
- Rock singer-musician Cyril Neville (The Neville Brothers) is 60.
- Actress Jessica Harper is 59.
- Singer-musician Midge Ure is 55.
- Rock singer David Lee Roth is 54.
- Country singer Tanya Tucker is 50.
- Actress Julia Sweeney is 49.
- Actor Bradley Whitford is 49.
- Musician Martin Kemp is 47.
- Rock musician Jim Glennie (James) is 45.
- Actress Rebecca Pidgeon is 43.
- Rock musician Mike Malinin (Goo Goo Dolls) is 41.
- Football quarterback Brett Favre is 39.
- Actress Wendi McLendon-Covey is 39.
- Actor Mario Lopez is 35.
- Actress Jodi Lyn O'Keefe is 30.
- Singer Mya is 29.
- Singer Cherie is 24.
- Actress Aimee Teegarden is 19.
Thought for Today:
"There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up."
Rex Stout, American writer (1886-1975).
"Let's all be careful out there!"