Kihei, Hawaii Whitefish, Montana Bloomington, Minnesota Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria UTC/GMT Iraq Afghanistan Republic of Korea Ocean Grove, Victoria
Optimized for 1280x1024 resolution

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

OMG! - A new post! The Virginia quake

Yesterday's (2011-08-23) 5.8 mag quake in Virginia produced this interesting video that actually shows the seismic wave moving across North America. (for more info click HERE)



Just to keep things in perspective, the 9.0 quake that hit Japan on March 11th was over 1,000,000,000 (one billion) times stronger at the epicenter. Every whole number increase in magnitude is 1,000 times stronger than the lower whole number.
I've read that there is an identified fault that crosses the mid-line of Manhattan Island with the potential of generating a 6.5 quake. I don't know when (or if) NYC has upgraded their building codes to account for this hazard but it is easily conceivable that if/when it does occur the structural loss within the city could easily be in the 78%-90% range. The regional effect would be devastating, with major damage extending over a far greater range than we typically have in California.
Oh, yeah. In California a 5.8 is what considered "coffee stirring strength."  Nothing to get excited about. Feces occurs.


"Let's all be careful out there!"

1 comment:

Henry Krinkle said...

I live in san diego and it's pretty rediclous to watch these people get all riled up about these "earthquakes" out here.

For the last few years I have been driving a cab and decided to start a blog of my own if you get a chance. I have mixed feelings about my departure.

http://corruptionincortez.blogspot.com/

I linked back to your site.

Hope all is well, be safe out there. - henry

Post a Comment

I Love Hearing Your "Talk Story".

Bored? Wanna watch a movie? Then check out my other blog, HOME THEATER CENTER