Kihei, Hawaii Whitefish, Montana Bloomington, Minnesota Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria UTC/GMT Iraq Afghanistan Republic of Korea Ocean Grove, Victoria
Optimized for 1280x1024 resolution

Thursday, April 03, 2008



Bev and I started out on the internet around 10 years ago. We were both gnubee's and had purchased webTv systems. An inexpensive way to learn if this new-fangled thing called "the web" was worth getting involved in. I guess it was, since we are both still here. A lot has occurred since that fateful day when we met in a newsgroup called ADWH (Alt.Discuss.Webtv.HTML). Bev is one of my closest friends, even though we have never met face-to-face.

Happy birthday, sweetheart. I luv ya.

Looking back in history, April 4th has been an interesting date. In 1862 the Pony Express connected America for the first time. Took 5 days to get a letter from St. Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento, California. Still does. [sigh]

In 1882, Jesse James was killed by Robert Ford for a $5,000 reward.

In 1942, the Japanese began their all-out assault on the U.S. and Filipino troops at Bataan. Exactly four years later to the day, April 3, 1946, Lt. General Masaharu Homma, the Japanese commander responsible for the Bataan Death March, was executed in the Philippines.

In 1968,
Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "mountaintop" speech just 24 hours before he was assassinated.

ATA Airlines, Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today and discontinued all operations. This is going to hurt us on Mau'i. Badly. ATA had multiple daily flights from the mainland and was my preferred air carrier. Their prices didn't fluctuate with seasonal traffic volume. Very reliable, comfortable and you didn't get that "cattle-car" treatment. That means fewer arrivals to Paradise and those that do make it are going to be paying through the nose.

We had some extremely strong trade winds yesterday. About 11:30 AM there was a very brief gilch in the power. Not uncommon in these conditions. Then at 12 noon, the power failed completely. Most of Mau'i was dead for hours. My power finally restored about 4:45 PM. In reading the news article, I am a bit confused. It says that the power went off at 1:00 PM??? I wonder what happened to that other hour. About 2:00 PM I called Judy to see what she had heard, my portable am/fm radio was dead. She still had power but cable tv was gone. I also called my friend TMR, who lives upcountry in Pukalani. His power was gone also. I never opened my fridge the entire time. I wanted to maintain whatever cold there was for as long as possible. It was loaded with all my groceries that I had purchased the day before. The groceries that needed to last me for the coming week. It was a very long and boring afternoon.

We have a crud system of electrical distribution on the island, rather than a grid system. Ah, the pleasures of Paradise. I wonder how all those people that have opted for VoIP phone systems are able to cope? The internet was down, the cable was down and the power was down. Now try to call to report a fire or a medical emergency or a traffic accident. No way, Jose! Cell phone service was undisturbed.

Whether the aforementioned winds were a factor is unknown. My guess is probably yes, if only as a contributory factor.

While my check did arrive I am still squeezing the nickles hard enough to make the buffalo fart. The funds won't clear the bank until the 10th. One more week to go before I call actually start breathing smoothly again.

Everybody have a great day! I'll be back tomorrow and hope to see you then.




Over The Limit?
Please don't drink and drive

"Let's all be careful out there!"